Monday, April 4, 2011

let me tell ya 'bout my best friend...

Best Friend (noun): someone (singular) with whom one shares the strongest possible kind of friendship(s).

Well, I agree and I disagree. Really, who is to say we can only have one best friend? What is this elementary rule that we can only pick one person to share our secrets with? I believe that a person can have more than one best friend. However, I believe there is a fuzzy line somewhere between a best friend and a good friend. I think of a best friend as a person you can call at any time of the day or night for any reason at all. I think of a best friend as being the first person you want to call with exciting news or a crisis. I think of a best friend as someone you can imagine being friends with when you are both old and grey in the nursing home. (My best friend and I have plans to take our HoverRounds to the Grand Canyon when we are old).

When it comes to best friends, I consider myself the luckiest girl in the entire world. I have friends that love me for me and who are loyal, dependable, funny, and smart. I love the at ease feeling I get when I am with my best friends. I feel comfortable and at home in my own skin. Best friends can either go out and have adventures together, or sit on the couch and watch TV; either way, I can guarantee you there will be plenty of laughter. For example, this morning me and my best friend sat on the couch together, eating Lucky Charms and ice cream, watching Spongebob, and making fart noises with our mouths. Yes, we are 21 and seniors in college. No, I wouldn’t have rather spent my Sunday morning any other way. I have talked with some of my friends about best friends and we have decided that we feel really bad for people who have lots of friends or acquaintances but no true best friend. I don’t know what I would do without mine!
So, I don’t know how many best friends I would say I have. Maybe 6? Maybe 2? Who knows, and really who cares. The label of ‘best friend’ is just that, a label. All that I know is that I have the BEST friends in the world, and for that I am truly blessed.

“You know as well as I do- it’s not about what you look like, or your job, or how successful you are. It’s about having people in your life that you love and who love you- that’s all that matters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment