Thursday, June 23, 2011

And the World Spins Madly On

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”


I’ve heard this quote numerous times and each time I have thought to myself “aw, this is nice”, and I move on with my day. But for some reason, this quote has really meant more to me lately. There are times in every persons life when there is some sort of seemingly life altering event- it may be the death of a friend or family member, or it may be that your dog is missing. No matter how big or small the event, everyone will have a moment where their world seems to stop spinning.
I have had this moment, most recently earlier this summer when a friend of mine went missing. When something like this is going on in your life, it becomes hard to understand how everyone else is going about their normal lives. I remember sitting in Barnes and Noble and seeing people laughing and smiling. In those few moments I was so angry and confused. I didn’t understand how these people could possibly be happy when there was something so life changing going on. After talking to some other friends involved in the situation, we realized that, as depressing as it may sound, this is reality everyday for someone.

Everyday someone gets life changing news and their world as they know it seems to halt to a stop. And yet people around them continue to go about their everyday lives as though nothing is happening. So, it’s not wrong to be happy and to laugh and to live and enjoy life. That is what we should be doing. But we also must remember that everyday somebody is going through a battle that we cannot even imagine.

Be happy. Be thankful. Be kind.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think we've ever conversed via Twitter but I remember your tweets when Matt was missing. What happened there? If you don't mind my asking?
    Anyhoo, in response to this blog, I agree totally. Although when I see people complaining about trivial things when there's so much going on in the world, trafficked women and children, missing people, etc, it makes me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, thanks so much for following Matt's story. It was nice to have the support during that time. I posted an update on this blog a little while back, but basically, he was found and is safe! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that! :) I took a self imposed twitter hiatus for awhile so I fell out of the loop on a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brooke, I completely agree.
    I love your "lost dog" reference! Monday was SO difficult for me. I was crushed trying to go on with my day at first, knowing that my little guy was out there somewhere! Thanks for the comment on FB ♥

    Overall, you hit the nail on this one. It can be really hard to understand sometimes when you are that person looking at the world with utter confusion and hatred : /

    P.S you are a lovely blogger. I get so excited when I see that you post!! I always can count on an excellent read! Someday we will have to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, I'm just glad you found your little guy! And if we are talking about lovely bloggers, that is definately YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete