Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Too Young For This

Love. "Love is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day." - Nicholas Sparks.

This weekend I went to a wedding of one of my best friends and I was reminded that true love really does exist and that it is beautiful. You see, I am apparently at that age (21) where all of my friends are getting engaged and married. Is that normal? Someone please let me know; cause I’ve never done this whole ‘growing up’ thing and I’m not exactly sure of a typical timeline. But I’m fairly certain that 21 is rather young to have all of your friends getting married. Now, don’t get me wrong- I love a good love story and a fun wedding. I mean, what’s not to love about two people in love, and free food. But all the free wedding cake in the world can’t mask that little ache that happens in your heart every time you go to a friends wedding. After leaving the wedding this past weekend, I couldn’t help but think about what I would want my dress to look like, and my colors, and my menu, and my guest list. Unfortunately, I still need a husband. Actually I need a guy friend first, then a boyfriend, then a fiance, and THEN a husband. I used to think 21 was so young and that I still had so much time, but I don’t know anymore. Suddenly, some how at 21 I already feel so behind. Sometimes I even find myself thinking “gosh, at this rate, will I ever get married?” But that is just silly thinking! At what rate? I’m 21 years old. Barely old enough to drink, and not old enough to rent a car. I mean, if you still some of your favorite TV shows are on Disney Channel or ABC Family, are you really old enough to get married? I don’t know. I’m not here to judge anyone else’s relationships or their marriages. And I certainly am not doubting the couple that got married this past weekend (they are older, mature, wiser, and so in love. Plus their relationship is centered around God, which I think makes for a strong foundation).
Anyways, my point is this…

I’m really too young to be feeling this old.


"Oh hey. Will somebody get me my tricycle. I have to go get married real fast. I promise I'll be back for Barney and a nap!"

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly where you're coming from! All of my friends are getting engaged and married as well, but we're only 21-22 years old. It makes me feel old, but in reality, they're just choosing to get married very young! Often, my boyfriend and I talk about marriage, and we sometimes want to rush and get married...but why rush? We're still and have plenty of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy enough, I have seen a lot of people getting married around 20-21ish. I too, think it is relatively young! (I want to at least be 21 on my wedding to have a drink of champagne!) haha

    I have been with my boy of 7 years and we feel "why rush" I want to be officially completed with college and have a job. PLUS - I have 100% medical insurance under her. **I will never find 100% coverage anywhere else...We agreed to wait till' I'm 25 so I can keep her insurance for as along as I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany- exactly! It is their choice and that is okay. I just have to remember that their choice doesn't have to pressure me.

    Erin- I love that you are thinking medical insurance. So true though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 28 years old and haven't had a true boyfriend yet. There's been dates here and there but it never went past that. I'm happy though. I'd rather wait for the right guy than go through a bunch of wrong ones. 21 is young, heck 28 to me is still young (except for when I first get up, then I don't feel so young! haha). Someone said to me once and it was perfect and true, "You're going to be married for longer than you're single. Enjoy being single while you can."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly, Melissa. As long as we are happy, there is no rush. If having a boyfriend/fiance/husband is what you have and what makes you happy, then good! If it's not that time of life for you yet, be happy with that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it's a southern thing! i lived in the midwest for a while and NO ONE my age was married but here in the south all of my friends are. i don't see the rush!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting! I was born and raised here in the south and so it's just the "norm" here. I never thought about it being a northern vs. southern thing. Interesting point!

    ReplyDelete