Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Not yet a local...

Welp, tonight I cried, for the first time in a long time. (Dad, I know you read this blog. I’m fine, I promise!) I had just left the movie theater, which is about 10 minutes from my apartment, and somehow I got lost. This was only the beginning. After looking more closely at my GPS, I finally pulled into my apartment complex, when said GPS, Delores, had the audacity to say just the wrong thing at just the wrong time. As I arrive at my apartment, Delores says “Arriving at destination. Home on right”. Technically, this would be correct since I did plug in my new apartment address as the home address to make it easier for me to get from place to place. But how could this be home? I can’t even find my way to and from the movie theater without getting lost. How can I be “home” in a place that still feels so foreign? In all honesty, being here is hard. Other than not knowing where I am the majority of the time, as of right now I only have classes on Wednesdays and Thursday, which leaves 5 days of the week to sit and do nothing. I would get a job, but I start my full time clinical hours in October, so I can’t really get a job for only a month. I also don’t really have my own friends here. My roommate is from the Charlotte area and is pretty close to home, and she has been great in letting me go home with her and hang out with her friends, but it’s still hard not having friends of my own. The few friends I do have in Charlotte live on the complete other side of town, which is proving to be slightly difficult with how much gas I am using to travel to and from school (and getting lost all over town). So, with all the being said, I finally cried. After Delores told me I was home, I sat in my car and cried for a few minutes, allowing myself to get it all out before wiping my tears and going inside. Now don’t get me wrong--I’m thankful for the experience, and I really do know that soon I will get to know my way and feel more at home. So for now I will just dry the tears, suck it up, and adjust.

1 comment:

  1. this post makes me want to hug you! my little sister lives in chicago (our family's home is in pittsburgh), and she cries often despite being married and having a good job . . . she truly misses home. and i miss her! but believe me, this will make you a stronger girl in the long run. keep doing it! :) ~ http://www.nicoleandgwendolyn.com

    ReplyDelete