Thursday, December 8, 2011

30 seconds with yourself...5 years ago.

Someone posted a question on Twitter today that really got me thinking:

If you could call yourself five years ago, and had 30 seconds, what would you say?

Well, 5 years ago, I was finishing my senior year of high school. There are a lot of things I would say to my 17 year old self, but if I only have 30 seconds I better make it concise. So here’s what I would say:

“Enjoy the last few months of high school. Don’t worry about college. It will be scary at first, but you can do it. And it will be so worth it. Speaking of college, study. It will be better in the long run. Make sure you let your grandparents know that you love them, they won’t be around much longer. Go to your grandmothers funeral, don’t worry about finals and packing for Beach Project. Go to her funeral. You're gonna suffer a lot of losses in one year. It does get better. Always be honest and have a good work ethic. Be someone who is worthy of respect. You can’t expect others to respect you if you don’t respect yourself. If you need to take a semester off, do it. Your health is more important, so don’t stress out about it. Things are going to change, go with it. Nothing can stay the same forever.”


If you only had 30 seconds, what would you say to yourself 5 years ago?

3 comments:

  1. Five years ago I was approx 24 years old and kinda don't really remember much. What I would say to myself in 30 seconds?

    Some people are just mean. Ignore them. Don't change who you are for anyone or anything. Don't take moments for granted that you can't get back. Tell the people you love what they mean to you. Don't not say it and regret it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five years ago, I was just 20. And if I had thirty seconds I would tell myself to
    "relax, smile and stop taking life so damn seriously! Stop taking yourself so seriously. Don't be afraid to open up your heart, because you're going to want love...even though it scares you. Believe that you are beautiful and unique and you are valued and appreciated. Because you are... even though you don't know it yet. Even though you're entering a low point in your life, believe that it will get better... not before it gets harder- but it will get better. You will find yourself...trust that."

    PS. Thanks for this post! It was a great question to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, Sounds like some things I would have said too. Thanks :)

    Allison, Thanks for sharing! It really is an interesting to think about!

    ReplyDelete