Saturday, December 10, 2011

One day at a time? Yeah right.

Today I bought a map and started planning our trip to LA. I always knew I struggled with compartmentalizing, (and what sometimes appears to be neurotic OCD habits) but goodness gracious! When I start planning something, I can’t stop. It's all or nothing for me. I end up planning everything. Even things that aren’t related. Take tonight for example. I laid out my newly purchased map, got on my computer, got a few sheets of paper and some colored sharpies and went to town planning each day of our LA trip. Since we’ll be taking a cab most places, I tried to plan each day so that we didn’t have to do a lot of backtracking (cost, energy, and time efficient). The planning went fairly well (I hope), so then I decided to start a packing list. This is where the trouble came. I made a list of things I needed to pack for LA. Which then got me searching for my iPod, which led me to find some checks, which then made me think of how much money I’m going to need in LA. Which stressed me out. And I couldn’t find my iPod. So I went to make a note to ask my mom about money over Christmas break. Which then got me thinking about Christmas break, and presents I need to buy, and what I need to pack. Which led me to thinking about packing for LA again. Which stressed me out. Again. So I decided to take a step back and start in a new direction. I decided to look at our flight information. While looking at our flight info, I remembered that we don’t fly back until the morning of the 9th, which is also the first day of classes for the spring semester. This got me thinking about my spring semester classes. Therefore, I wrote out my schedule for my classes and thought about how I still needed to finish my nursing school application. Which stressed me out. So I decided to take another step back and go back to looking at flight information. After writing out every single detail of all of our flights, I thought about how I will definitely need medicine for the plane and how I need to make sure I pack that. Which brought me back to my packing list. Which stressed me out again.

You guys, I could go on and on. Literally. I sat on my living room floor for 4 hours on a Friday night planning every minute of the next 30 days of my life.

WHY am I thinking about Christmas break, LA, packing, airplanes, nursing school applications, spring classes, iPods, money, and presents all at the same time? Because I suck at isolating things. I suck at focusing at one thing at a time. So I have a tendency to look at everything at the same time and then get way overstressed. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone else have a hard time taking things “one day at a time”?


I feel a little like this. Biting off more than I can chew. 


2 comments:

  1. And you laughed at me for planning every minute of our Disney trip:)
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad! haha. I did make fun of you, but I'm just like you!

    ReplyDelete