Friday, June 8, 2012

Everything's changing.

“We either adapt to change or get left behind. It hurts to grow; anybody who tells you anything else is lying. But here’s the truth, sometimes the more things change the more they stay the same; and sometimes, sometimes change is good, and sometimes change is everything.”
If you know me at all you know that change is like, my least favorite thing ever (along with confrontation, wasabi, and Nickelback). People say that change is constant, which is true, because if it wasn’t then we’d all be living a Groundhog Day type scenario, which would super suck since that is another one of my least favorite things ever. So while change is constant, there are definitely different levels of change. For instance, when I’m at school and I have a routine and a schedule, things change very little from day to day. I change my clothes, I might change what I eat, and there might be a few other variations in my day. But all in all, the changes are relatively small and don’t produce a lot of anxiety. But then there are times when it seems everything is changing all at once. Schedules change, opinions change, thoughts, feelings, attitudes, beliefs, and people all change. And when all of these things start changing at once, it becomes the perfect storm of anxiety for me. It’s not that I don’t accept change. I do. If I didn’t accept change, I’d never grow and I’d miss out on some pretty amazing opportunities. My problem is that I delay change by holding onto the past. I get left behind. While others grow and change and adapt, I get stuck. I get stuck watching everyone else move on with their lives while I sit and hold onto every little bit of normalcy I possibly can. So yes, I’d agree that “we either adapt to change or get left behind” and that “it hurts to grow”, and even that “sometimes change is good, and sometimes change is everything.” However, I don’t understand that “sometimes the more things change the more they stay the same”. That’s a lie that other people tell people like me in order to reduce anxiety. But I don’t need to be lied to. The more things change, the more they change. They don’t stay the same. Nothing ever does. But I guess, if nothing ever changed there’d be no butterflies, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment