Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mirror Face

You guys. Today has been monumental.
*Warning: This blog post is long, overly dramatic, and pretty much about nothing. Enjoy!

Here’s some a lot of back story. Apparently every girl has a “going out” face or a “mirror” face. As an only child, I was deprived of sharing a bathroom or getting ready with people in the morning. Therefore, I did not know about mirror faces until much later. (Just another area of my life I was sheltered in. Sigh) The first time I remember someone pointing out my mirror face was 3 years ago in my junior year of college. I was living with my roommate, Megan, in a small, one bathroom apartment. This meant that Megan and I were often in the bathroom at the same time getting ready for classes or other things. I would go through my normal hair and makeup routine and then give myself one last look before leaving. Everyone does that. Everyone has that one last look, an inspection, to make sure their beauty efforts were thorough enough. This I knew. However, I did not know that some people make different faces in the mirror as part of their final inspection. I am one of those people. After getting ready and doing my “last looks”, I would make a face that would then cause me to say “Ugh. Why do I look like this?”. My roommate would then proceed to say “well maybe if you didn’t make that face, you wouldn’t look like that”. Touché, roommate, touché. I still really wasn’t aware of the face I was making and just shrugged it off as a normal thing. I kind of forgot about my apparent mirror face until this past January. I went to California with my new roommate, Lindsey, and it was here that we shared a bathroom and a mirror to get ready in the morning. One morning as we were getting ready, Lindsey pointed out my mirror face. In fact, I am fairly positive we had the exact same “Why do I look like this?” “Why are you making that face?” convo that I had had with Megan. Well good gosh, people! What the heck is going on here? I argued and claimed that I don’t have a “mirror face” that I make everyday and that she was crazy. However, after it now being pointed out to me twice, I was becoming suspicious of myself. After a few days of being aware of my potential mirror face, I realized that it is true. I do have a mirror face. And it is strange. And my friends have all apparently known this for much longer than I have. (By the way “friends”, if you have broccoli in your teeth, I would tell you right away. So WHY did it take you all so long to warn me that I make a pouty, ugly face in the mirror every single dag on day!) Just when you think you know everything about yourself, something like this happens and it throws you for a quarter life crisis. I mean, who am I? What are my values and beliefs? How long have I been making this face? WHY?

So here’s the face. I can describe it in great detail, as I have recently studied it in the mirror extensively. I raise my eyebrows, pout my lips, tilt my chin down, and fluff my hair. Why? Why do I do this? Does it make me prettier? Nope. It actually makes me look like a deranged Olsen twin.

HOWEVER, (and to finally bring this post to the reason that today has been monumental) today I discovered someone else who has a mirror face too! Actually, not only do they have a mirror face, but they have pretty much the same mirror face as I do! Shay Mitchell from Pretty Little Liars has the same mirror face as me! I don’t know how this happened (maybe we were separated at birth, maybe not), but I do know that she looks better then me when she does it, and her friends also make fun of her. I mean, people have noticed it enough to make a whole Youtube collaboration video about. Apparently mirror faces are that serious.

So yes, my mirror face is important enough to me that I dedicated a whole, long blog post about it. But ya know what, I bet I got you thinking about your “mirror face”.


No comments:

Post a Comment