Monday, July 30, 2012

So Long Sweet Summer

Well here it is. One week left before I go back to school. The finale. The last summer. I‘ve loved the song “So Long Sweet Summer” for a while, and I probably listen to it in increasing amounts each August, but this year feels different. This is not the end of summer break as much as it‘s the end of a season of my life. It really just hit me that this is the last summer break. Next year, the summer season will still come, yet everything will be different. I’ll be in school/clinicals all summer. Emily will be planning a wedding and getting married. Christine will be in NYC. This is it. This is the last summer of us. I know that from here on out, things won’t be the same. Things will change and there will be a new normal. I know it’s not a big deal, and summer is really only just a season. But I can’t help but feel like this is another chapter of my childhood closing. Every year since kindergarten, I can remember looking forward to summer break- a time to hang out with friends and do absolutely nothing and everything all at the same time. Now those friends are getting married or becoming doctors or moving to New York City. And I’m so excited to see where life takes all of us. And I have no doubt that we will stay friends forever. It just seems so strange to think of this next week as the finale of all summers. George Martin said “Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well”. So here’s to the summers full of sleepovers, swimming, going out, staying in, endless movies watched, laughter, tears, coffee, ice cream, vacations, adventures, photos, memories, and so much more. So long sweet summer. I can’t wait to see what the next season of life has to offer.
Summers past and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment